Friday, June 1, 2007

Self-Esteem, Depression and Low Energy-Tips to Increase Your Self Esteem (Part 1)

Low self-esteem and depression create a cycle that can lead to a sense of hopelessness. Even a mild depression can cause feelings of inadequacy, low energy, and a sense of being overwhelmed, even by small tasks. Obviously, if you need medical help get it. But recognize other factors. For example, when our energy is low and we get less done it can contribute to our sense of worthlessness. Most of my life I've experienced cyclical times when my energy gets low. I've come to recognize the interplay it has on my self-esteem. Here are a few tips that have helped me.

1.Limit TV time. Television promotes images of "beautiful" people, who are all highly successful or extraordinarily dysfunctional. Most of these "beautiful" people have unlimited wealth, perfect health, a choice of desirable partners, and portray a work life that is full of excitement. This is fiction! Too much tv viewing can cause a person with low self-esteem to feel like they will never be enough. Additionally, tv viewing can be addictive and cause us to withdraw from life. That's the worst thing to do when you are feeling blue. Personally, I find tv, very addictive. I actually am entering a third period of my life where I'm giving up my television. Every time I give up my tv I lose weight, increase earning, and make more friends.

2.Find a nice way to easy into your day. Make a plan to spend a few minutes each morning doing something you love. If you love to read, wake up 30 minutes earlier than you need to and read a chapter of a novel. Maybe you like to be outside; spend 10 minutes weeding your garden, playing with your dog, or walk a couple blocks around your neighborhood before you get ready for work. Go to bed a half hour earlier if you need to.

3.When you are tired, rest. We live in a culture that is on 24/7. This is not natural. Many people take anti-depressants and other meds, when they may just need more rest.

4.Do one "chore" shortly after waking up. Something as simple as making your bed can make you feel like accomplished something. If you buy the right bedding material, it takes 2-3 minutes.

5.Break down tasks into smaller projects. Rather than saying, I'm going to clean my office, learn to clean out one drawer. This will give you something more manageable. The more manageable, the easier it is to complete a project. This helps bolster our self-esteem.

No comments: